Does your home feel a bit stale after the holiday decorations come down? One way to keep your interior design interesting all year round is by embracing seasonal decor. This concept is all about bringing the outside in, taking inspiration from nature and the changing seasons. Not only does seasonal decor keep your home feeling fresh and in sync with the world outside, it can also be a fun, creative outlet. Here's how to get started.
Understanding seasonal decor
'Seasonal decor' refers to changing your home's interior design with each season. The changes can be significant, like switching out curtains or rugs, or they can be subtle, like swapping out throw pillows or table centerpieces. The idea is to reflect the colors, textures, and overall mood of each season inside your home.
Why embrace seasonal decor?
Keeps your home fresh: Seasonal decor prevents your home from feeling stale or boring. It keeps things interesting and gives you something to look forward to with the changing seasons.
Allows for creativity: Seasonal decor is a great outlet for creativity. You can experiment with different colors, patterns, textures, and themes.
Can be cost effective: If you're on a budget, seasonal decor can actually be quite cost effective. You don't need to buy new items for each season - you can reuse and repurpose items, or make your own.
Seasonal decor ideas for each season
Here are some ideas for how you can change your decor with each season.
- Use pastel colors, floral patterns, and fresh flowers
- Incorporate nature-inspired elements like bird nests or eggs
- Lighten up your textiles - switch out heavy blankets for lighter throws, and replace dark, heavy curtains with lighter, airier ones
- Go for a beachy, coastal vibe with blues, whites, and sandy tones
- Bring in tropical elements like seashells, starfish, or palm prints
- Swap out heavy rugs for light, natural fiber ones
- Use warm, rich colors like red, orange, and gold
- Incorporate fall foliage, pumpkins, and gourds
- Add cozy elements like plush throws and candles
- Go for a cozy, cabin vibe with plaids, knits, and faux fur
- Use cool, icy colors like white, silver, and blue
- Add some holiday sparkle with lights and metallics
Tips for successful seasonal decor
Start small: If you're new to seasonal decor, start small. Swap out a few items like throw pillows, table centerpieces, or wall art.
Use nature: Nature is the best source of inspiration for seasonal decor. Look to the changing colors, textures, and elements in your local environment.
Be flexible: Don't feel like you have to stick to traditional color schemes or themes. Be creative and make it your own.
Be sustainable: Try to purchase items that are durable and can be used year after year. Also consider making your own decor from materials you already have.
In conclusion, embracing seasonal decor is a fun and creative way to keep your home feeling fresh all year round. So why wait? Start planning your seasonal decor now and enjoy the change each season brings.